April 13, 2011

What Held Me There

I woke, and yet I longed to sleep
Again, to find the road
That I had followed through my dreams
As moon and starlight glowed.

For though I can't recall the thought
- It left me unaware -
I long to know what darkness wrought
To know what held me there.

It passed, although its wistful taste
Still tarries on my tongue
Of tales untold and kingdoms old
Of siren's songs unsung.

What bed of stone led me alone
Upon the angel's stair
To view the earth from heaven's throne?
What marvels held me there?

What innocence, what pure delight
Did come to me in sleep
That I should curse the morning light
Which comes my dreams to reap?

I beheld a world unbroken
And breathed a purer air
Than mortal lips have e'er spoken.
What promise held me there!

6 comments:

SJ said...

Ah, another poet! Your writing is beautiful and enjoyable to read. You asked if I have any other creative outlets, and I would say that at one time or another I have dabbled in most, though I still long to dabble in most of those in which I haven't. Music is one I especially miss. I also used to keep a poetry blog (years ago), but I ultimately became to embarrassed to share my poetry (not sure exactly why), so I stopped. You can see what is there, though, at http://scuddypoems.blogspot.com/

Covnitkepr1 said...

That's pretty good.
I write and maintain a spiritual blog which I have titled “AccordingtotheBook” and I’d like to invite you to follow it.

Mark Zellner said...

SJ, it's not surprising to hear you are a musician! And yes, it seems most people who are artistically creative enjoy multiple outlets. I checked out your poetry, it seems you have a pretty good handle on free verse! I really liked Broken. The lines "Crawling underneath and in
between the tides
Of the past and of tomorrow"
That's such a wonderful description!

Monica said...

Hey Mark!
Thanks for your comment on my blog! I'm sorry that you're not following, but hey I TOTALLY understand {It's really girly an' all} Haha =D You write really neat poems!!

Mark Zellner said...

No problem Monica! I'm glad you like my poetry!

Ginny Brannan said...

Yes, have often felt that way myself!